July 4, 2010 was spend at Rockaway Beach for Lincoln's family reunion.
Silas Sintayehu on his first Fourth of July in America!
Blake Bizayehu on his first Fourth of July in America!
Hunter Lee on his sixth Fourth of July! :0)
Graysen Faith on her third Fourth of July! :0)
You can always count on Lincoln to be festive!
Does it get any more "4th of July / American" than this? Having a picnic on a checkered table cloth while eating watermelon?
Silas and Graysen got a little over zealous with their beads...
Lincoln and his Grandma (Grammie B) right before the fireworks show.
They do always have a great fireworks show in Rockaway Beach... we walk down a big hill and watch it over the lake.
But, as I sat and watched it this year I had such mixed feelings. Although I was in awe, like I am every year at the beautiful display, I couldn't help but realize how changed I am this year. I sat, watching the faces of my four children, two of whom had never seen anything like this. They were amazed. They loved it.
In my heart I felt something sink. I wondered (and guesstimated) how much money they spent on that fireworks show...and it made me sick to my stomach. The number of people they could have fed with that money, the number of children they could have helped find families... The widows they could have helped provide for their families for another year so they could keep their children. Right here in America, and abroad...
Can you imagine if we all gave up fireworks next year and gave that money to help those less fortunate than us? No fireworks in Washington, none in Rockaway Beach, none in your backyard...
That would make a huge difference!
But, as I sat and watched it this year I had such mixed feelings. Although I was in awe, like I am every year at the beautiful display, I couldn't help but realize how changed I am this year. I sat, watching the faces of my four children, two of whom had never seen anything like this. They were amazed. They loved it.
In my heart I felt something sink. I wondered (and guesstimated) how much money they spent on that fireworks show...and it made me sick to my stomach. The number of people they could have fed with that money, the number of children they could have helped find families... The widows they could have helped provide for their families for another year so they could keep their children. Right here in America, and abroad...
Can you imagine if we all gave up fireworks next year and gave that money to help those less fortunate than us? No fireworks in Washington, none in Rockaway Beach, none in your backyard...
That would make a huge difference!
My sweet Hunter watching the fireworks with his cousin Hayden.
1 comment:
I feel like you described about the fireworks often when I see parents buying so many forms of disposable things to entertain their children or to impress others. I feel guilty, too, because of the NEED in the world and the EXCESS we have. This is why I kind of cancelled Daniel's first birthday party and am not doing decorations or extended family... next year we will probably make donations in his name to help offset the better life he is getting compared to some that get a really unhappy life.
Post a Comment