Thursday, December 30, 2010

Happy Birthday to Jesus

Every year we have a birthday cake for Jesus. This year my Mom picked one up while she was out to save us the mess of baking one.

On Christmas Eve, after PJ's were on, we gathered around the table and celebrated Jesus birthday in a "tangible", "real" way that the kids could grasp. We talked (once again) about Christmas being Jesus birthday and how lucky we were that God sent Jesus, His son, to earth for us.

We sang Happy Birthday and blew out His candle for Him.
Then we talked about what kinds of gifts we could give Jesus this year. Ideas like:
"having a happy heart", "opening doors for strangers", "pushing someone's wheelchair for them", "praying more", "telling Jesus you love Him", and "introducing yourself to someone who looks sad"
were all said.
Align Center




I absolutely love my kids getting older.
They are beginning to be able to grasp the reality of who Jesus is...
and what He did for us.
for them.

I love quiet moments like these with my children.
teaching them.
celebrating with them.

That is what Christmas is all about.

ps - Rocking Journal Day 2:

Graysen (9:30): She wasn't feeling good today. She was crying and clingy, so I got out the Moby wrap and held her in there for a bit while I finished up the boy's breakfast. Then we sat down and stayed in the Moby. After a few minutes she wanted out and wanted covered up with a blanket. She layed down across me, I covered her up and we rocked for about 10 more minutes and then she fell asleep.

Blake (12:30): He had just gotten out of time out and was feeling angry toward me. I thought this would be the perfect time for rocking! He cuddled up against me immediately and stayed that way the whole time. He asked lots of questions about the maternity pictures on the wall, talking about what "place" each of the children have in our family, how long my hair was, why we were making a heart around my belly button, etc. We also talked about some of the Christmas cards that are hanging near the rocking chair. He did not want to get down after his 15 minutes..."keep holding me Mommy!".

Hunter (5:00): He and I read a book and then played rock paper scissors a few times. We talked about his sleep over with Grammie and what he wanted to do out there. He was very happy to have time with Mommy and when I told him his time was over he wanted to play "one more game of rock paper scissors" and then he happily hopped off.

Silas (5:20): He was very discontented. He wanted off the entire time and we only sat for 10 minutes rather than 15. He didn't want to read a book or play a game or anything. He complained that he was hot and I fanned him and blew on his back to cool him off. That seemed to be the only time he was happy. He made comments like "why do I have to sit here for more than 100 minutes?!" He did give me a very tight hug when I told him he could hop off my lap.


1 comment:

Kim Johnston said...

What a great idea! And the video is just wonderful.