DTE: Dossier to Ethiopia
aka: the day you are officially put on the wait list
aka: the day you are officially put on the wait list
Today marks one year since our Dossier went to Ethiopia. I'm amazed that we have been home with our children for 2 months (tomorrow) already! When we got word that our DTE was 7/21/09 I went through our calendar and marked on the 21st of every month "1 month DTE, 2 months DTE" all the way to "1 year DTE". It was my goal to have a referral by today. Amazing what God can do when He sees it fit. He had Blake and Silas picked out for our family in the beginning of time, and we were ready when they were in need of a home and another family to call their own. It just happened to be WAY before my time line!
Here is the post that I wrote last year:
Here is the post that I wrote last year:
After some miscommunication between our two agencies, everything is worked out! Here is the email I recieved from AAI just today...
"Hi Ashley and Lincoln,
Your Dossier was assembled into final form and shipped to Ethiopia on July 21st. Your family is now on the referral waiting list for 1-2 children, at least one male, 0-4 years of age (with the younger child being as young as possible at the time of referral). Currently, families who had their Dossiers shipped to Ethiopia in February 2009 are receiving referrals of infant/toddler boys. Families waiting for the referral of young sibling sets frequently wait a year or more for a referral. Please feel free to call the office each month regarding your position on the referral waiting list.
Also, once your family receives I-171H approval from USCIS, please be sure to forward a copy to our office.
Thanks and congratulations,
Susan"
YEAH! IT'S THERE.
I really expected this whole process to be a lot harder than it has been. We've been blessed with very few pot holes slowing us down. I've always been good at waiting during my pregnancies, never overly anxious to get the baby here. I've always had a peace of mind that they will join our family when the timing is perfect...and I know this child is no different...
If someone would have told me exactly a year ago that I would bring home two 6 year old boys, I would've laughed and told them they were crazy! I am truly in awe of how God can change people's hearts who are willing to listen to His quiet whisperings. There was never an earthquake or a mountain moving that caused us to change our hearts to older child adoption. God just whispered to our hearts, He just gave us a peace beyond understanding, knowing that there was a child (or two) for our family that wasn't in our limited request. "Open your hearts" He said, and we did. And our family became more beautiful than it already was.
Today I am grateful to have my two newest sons home. Today, I am thankful that we are becoming the family that God intended us to be. Today I am also sad...sad for those families who have been waiting and praying for their children for so much longer than I waited for my boys. Wonderful families who are following God's calling in their lives, sacrificing, and loving each other through the long wait. Families like this, and this, and this, and this, and this. Families, who are now friends, who have supported us, been excited for us, and shared in our excitement even though their hearts are hurting and aching for their loved one...
As we celebrate today, know that we are thinking about you, and not forgetting that there are others who are not complete yet. Remembering that there are still 147 million orphans around this world who are aching inside to be a part of a family, who are waiting for someone like YOU to come and get them, bring them home, tuck them into bed at night, and love them unconditionally...
If someone would have told me exactly a year ago that I would bring home two 6 year old boys, I would've laughed and told them they were crazy! I am truly in awe of how God can change people's hearts who are willing to listen to His quiet whisperings. There was never an earthquake or a mountain moving that caused us to change our hearts to older child adoption. God just whispered to our hearts, He just gave us a peace beyond understanding, knowing that there was a child (or two) for our family that wasn't in our limited request. "Open your hearts" He said, and we did. And our family became more beautiful than it already was.
Today I am grateful to have my two newest sons home. Today, I am thankful that we are becoming the family that God intended us to be. Today I am also sad...sad for those families who have been waiting and praying for their children for so much longer than I waited for my boys. Wonderful families who are following God's calling in their lives, sacrificing, and loving each other through the long wait. Families like this, and this, and this, and this, and this. Families, who are now friends, who have supported us, been excited for us, and shared in our excitement even though their hearts are hurting and aching for their loved one...
As we celebrate today, know that we are thinking about you, and not forgetting that there are others who are not complete yet. Remembering that there are still 147 million orphans around this world who are aching inside to be a part of a family, who are waiting for someone like YOU to come and get them, bring them home, tuck them into bed at night, and love them unconditionally...
won't you please...?

1 comment:
love the new background
Post a Comment