Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Silas Sintayehu Story

A few days ago the boys were preparing to go pick up trash at local parks with our church. Two new children showed up to go, kids we had never seen before. I introduced myself to the mother, and asked the kids their names. They were unique, foreign sounding names. Then I asked my boys to introduce themselves to the children.

"Hi, I'm Hunter"
"Hi, I'm Blake"
"Hi, I'm Sintayehu"

I thought it was very perceptive of Silas to understand that the other children were (most likely) adopted as well and had unique names. I find it very thoughtful of him to share his unique name with them as well. I think it speaks volumes about him as a person. He looks out for others, he is concerned with their well being and their comfort. It also shows me that he's not afraid to take ownership of his story...his whole story. I love that confidence in him!

I've always told Blake and Silas that they were Sintayehu and Bizayehu first...and they can always go by those names. It is totally their choice. We do often refer to them as their first names around the house, with close family.

In fact, I like it when Si wants to go by Sintayehu...I miss calling them those names.



2 comments:

Jenni said...

He certainly is perceptive and compassionate. I loved reading this as we are deciding on names for our little ones. Thanks for sharing this!!!

Unknown said...

This one got me.... Wise and perceptive beyond his years. That boy is going places!