Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Highs and Lows

Every night that we're able to sit around the dinner table together Lincoln and I try to ask our children about their "highs and lows" for the day.  I want to start recording more day to day things here, so I thought I would start with last night's highs and lows.

Graysen:
High:  School!  (She's attending a fabulous Christian Church pre-school two mornings a week that we all love!)
Low:  "Nicholas kept saying fart today in circle time".  (This is a word we don't use in our house - we say toot - and she was very disgusted by this little boy saying it!)
What you learned in school:  About baby Jesus...and we got to see hay.  It smelled GOOD!  But not when animals pee in it!

Hunter:
High:  Brenden coming back to school from his trip.  
Low:  Watching Beauty and the Beast at recess.  It wasn't the Disney version.
What you learned in school:  Number families and how rearrange number sentences and still have them right. (The example he gave me was:  6+5=11, 5+6=11, 11-6=5, 11-5 =6)

Silas:
High:  Playing on the computer.  I got to play the monkey game.  It's an adding game, but getting past level 4 is really hard.  (You should hear him say monkey...the Ethiopian accent makes it one his cutest words!)
Low:  Not going to recess because it was raining.
What you learned in school:  How to label my math work.  (The example he gave was 6 bananas + 5 bananas = 11 BANANAS)

Blake:
High:  I got 4 penny and a tiger paw (yes, I left penny singular because this is how he speaks and I want to remember that at this point Blake still haven't figured out plurals)  He got the tiger paw for cleaning the centers even wasn't his mess.
Low:  No recess either time.
What you learned in school:  If you want the vowel to say it's name, put an e at the end.  I asked for an example and it took him a very long time, but he finally came up with "make, lake, and time"!


Also, last night was about as perfect a night as we've ever had.  There was absolutely no whining, pouting, complaining etc.  Everyone was very cooperative, had great attitudes, was kind to each other and me, and showed grateful attitudes.  I really hope this can continue!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

We do the high and low, we say best and worst. I like it because it gets more out of Scottie than just "Fine" or "Good". I like the avenues for discussion it creates. I may have to add the learning question. That is very cool.

Anonymous said...

I love these little insights into their daily lives... thank you so much for sharing!!
Hugs,
Marcinda

Shelley said...

What a great post! Looks like the boys really didn't like rain making them stay inside during recess.