Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Crummy Night Washed Away

I had a crummy afternoon.  

An insensitive comment made me sad thinking about what my sons future might hold.  
Prejudice is still real in 2012 in America.
Left work early to take the kids to a dentist apt.
only to pull in and find out they had been without power for 40 minutes and hadn't called to cancel our apts.
One of the boys had to sit out in PE.
Struggled with feeling disappointed in him.

This is how I was feeling by the time I got home!

I was short with our children tonight.
I didn't have many patience.
I didn't go to my husband's basketball game to support him.
I felt guilty about that.

Then I was in the shower,
letting the hot water run over me and wash away the afternoon and evening,
looking up so the water didn't hit me in the face when I realized...
this,
THIS 
is where I should've been looking all afternoon.
I should've been looking to God for my patience,
for the healing for people's prejudices,
for the truth about who my kids are no matter their actions.

I went into the kids room and paused their movie.
I apologized for my shortness this evening.
They all gave me hugs and told me they forgave me.
I thanked them.

Now I'm headed to bed myself...
and praying for more patience for tomorrow
more grace.

5 comments:

Nel said...

Glad to know I am not the only one who has those days.... You are an amazing mommy!!!

Hugs!

Mindy said...

You are such a wonderful model to your kids! :) It's okay to have a bad day once in a while.

Sparrow said...

I hate bad days...it all just adds up sometimes. Glad you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

We must teach our children about
every. life. situation.

Some days are crummy...
some people say crummy things and have crummy attitudes...
we disappoint ourselves, each other and God sometimes...
we ALL are short at times...
and YOU taught your children the proper way to handle those days!

I love you, and that lesson was priceless!!!!!

Mom Redburn ~:)

Chrissy said...

I like Mom Redburn! ;)