Thursday, August 13, 2009

Surgery Day!

I quickly came to realize that this surgery will not be a terrible memory for my son, but a badge of honor.  He asked Grammie almost immediately after he woke up from anesthesia if she wanted to see his scars!

I can not say enough for Children's Hospital.  They were beyond amazing...that sad thing is - every nurse and hospital employee COULD be trained to interact with their patients in the way that they did.  Lincoln and I were treated with the utmost respect.  Every single person we came in contact with - the lady behind the check in desk, our escort to the Same Day Surgery floor, the man who checked us in there, our nurse, the anesthesiologist, the surgeon, and his resident - they were ALL AWESOME with Hunter.  They spoke to him as the patient, not just to us.  They made sure he understood and was comfortable with everything.  

Can I also say how wonderful it was to have just one nurse all day?  I despise the way you have several nurses during your stay at Rolla hospital.  I know there are shift changes, but one nurse a day makes for a much better relationship!  Hunter was able to become comfortable with her and we were able to gain a trust in her knowledge and professionalism.  

The experience made me want to grow up and work at Children's Hospital!  No, really though, we will never take our kids anywhere else for something other than a regular apt. with their Pediatrician.  Never.  (I've already scoped out their International Adoption Unit!)

Let's go on a picture journey of our day!

This was the hardest part of the day.  Hunter did NOT want to get the gown on.  He was afraid that other people would make fun of him (thanks a lot honey for passing on those genes!)  Once he got it on we went straight down to the play room with all the other kids who had theirs on and he never thought about it again!  

Here we are post surgery!  (Everything in between these two times were just us, sitting around, and then directly post surgery me laying in bed with Hunter while he slept.)  I requested a grape popsicle with a stick, and then we decided to take silly pictures together - I was so happy to have my boy back!!

Hunter calling Aunt Sissy...it was such a blessing to have her stay home with Graysen during the day, but Hunter was very excited to hear her voice after he woke up!

Back in the play room just a few hours post surgery!!!  I couldn't believe he was up and walking - just living proof that kids do recover so much faster than adults!  

The play room wore him out pretty quickly.  He refused to sit in a wheelchair to go to the car, so this AWESOME hospital had a wagon available for just this kind of situation!  

We're doing awesome so far.  We've been blessed with tons of friends and family coming over to visit and bring "get well soon" gifts to help keep him busy over the next few weeks.  Thank you all very much for all of your thoughts, prayers, visits, and gifts.  We are very grateful!

No comments: