on my diet that is...
My friend Chrissy recently wrote a blog about how she is struggling with her weight loss. She has determined that she is an emotional eater...
It has been in the last month that I have discovered that that is also the truth about my life. If you had asked me before if I would consider myself an emotional eater I would have adamantly denied it. I really didn't view myself like that. I thought that was for weak people. Kind of like people who use alcohol to "escape" their problems. I've always said that I don't understand it because the problems will still be there after they sober up; as with eating...the problems will still be there after the bowl of ice cream!
Since we have made the switch in our home from eating cheap, quick food, to more expensive healthy food I have taken note as to when I really want that bowl of ice cream, or to eat that Big Mac. After I cave in and stop at Dairy Queen for a Moolate', I think about why I just found myself in the drive thru.
I've come to the realization that I eat when I'm stressed. I eat when I'm sad or scared. I am an emotional eater. Dang it!
When I've had a long day at home with the kids, I turn on the TV and eat a bowl of ice cream before going to bed. When I am challenged by the sermon on Sunday morning, I drive through Dairy Queen on the way home. When I'm sad about being away from my family all night when I head to work I drive through McDonalds on the way and get a XL sweet tea.
So, Chrissy, we're in the same boat. I'm not sure what to do about this problem...maybe we can split the next chocolate shake rather than each eating a whole one?! ha ha
3 comments:
Emotional eating is very hard to conquer. I have always been an emotional eater. Instead of not eating at all when I stressed, like a lot of people do, all I want to do is comfort myself with food.
How was Hunter's surgery??
I was blessed to go from 215 to 175 a little over a year ago by just changing small things in the way I eat. I am definitely an emotional eater, but when I get ultra stressed I can't keep anything down. I have found portions are my friend. I do not deny myself those little moments of unhealthiness. I just eat much less of it. If its chips or cookies I count the amount of calories I can live with into a bowl. I stick with one scoop of ice cream or one ice cream bar. I try to get the smallest size of blizzards, smoothies, shakes, etc. Scottie and I split meals regularly when we are out. If I have that unhealthy fast food fix I try to overdo the veggies on the other meals.
Anyway, sorry about the babble, it is nice to know others struggle with it too. I think once we acknowledge it, we can understand and adjust accordingly. Thanks for sharing these tid bits that help the rest us not feel like we struggle alone.
I am right there with you all too! I found myself consuming lots of chocolate today as I stressed about school starting tomorrow! I have always had this problem. I eat my feelings, thus the reason I gained 15 lbs from Jan to May! I have been trying to do what Amanda mentioned...portion control. I eat those things that I crave but I do it in small portions...or at least I try to! :o)
Post a Comment