Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Delaying Formal Schooling

It's no secret that I'm very nervous about my children's educational career. We held Hunter back a year, choosing not to send him to pre-school until age 5, and Kindergarten at age 6.

I recently read that Britan has officially recommended holding children off of formal schooling until age 6 as well, putting them more closely in line with other European Countries (like Germany and France). The article said that it would allow children more time to learn while playing, which I have always valued. I think there are a million real life lessons that can be learned while playing with toys and each other!

I felt better about our decision and my strong feelings after reading all the stats this article provided. I think we made a good decision for our son.

8 comments:

Chrissy said...

He misses the cut off for public school anyway. I prefer my kids to be "older" as well.

Jess said...

I think you are absolutely right to not try and push your kids to be grown up too fast. They absorb so much around them as it is, and putting them around a lot of other and older children is not always the best for them. Ross has been wanting me to call and get Alexis enrolled in preschool for this fall, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that...

Ashley said...

You're right Chrissy, although we could have easily requested for him to go at age 5.

Chrissy said...

I thought they were strict with the cut off?

Mindy said...

Wow, so many important decisions to make when you have kids! Your logic makes sense. I missed the cut off date by two days so I went to pre-school for 3 years. I think it benefited me, although it's hard to say for sure!

Ashley said...

I don't think so. I know several people who have requested to start "early" and as long as they meet / pass the Kindergarten screening requirements they are good to go.

Chrissy said...

I am not a fan of starting early. But that's just me! Oh...well...and it's you, too! ;o)

Anonymous said...

It's me, too! I was an Aug baby and my parents chose to held me back, and I/they have never regretted it. I am certain I will hold Keaton back (7/22) as well. So, I'm on the same page!