Monday, August 9, 2010

Be happy with what you have; a letter to my child.

Oh particular child of mine,

Why does it seem that you are never happy with what you have? Why do you insist on complaining, whining, and crying all day long over things that you don't find adequate, fair, or good enough?

I know in your life thus far it seems that the world is out to get you. I am sorry and saddened by everything that you have experienced so far in your short life. But, please know that your family is not out to get you! We can be your safe shelter, the ones that you trust to always look out for your best interest, the ones who you can count on to give you what you need.

No, we may not always give you everything you want. I am sorry if things were made out to be different then they really are. You are not always going to get your way. Life is not always going to fair, and with 3 other siblings you need to realize that there are going to be times when you are not all treated equally. That's part of life...it's a hard lesson, but a necessary one.

It is not going to serve you well to try and be as possessive as you are. You must learn to share, to give freely of yourself, your time, and your things. I understand that this is the first time in your life that you have actually had things, but things are not what's important. The love you will receive from our family, your family, is going to prove to be much more fulfilling than any thing may ever be for you. I promise...

Please stop throwing fits by stomping, crossing your arms, and saying cross words under your breath (in any language). You are really wearing me out with this behavior. We need to be grateful for what we have. We are blessed beyond belief. Someday you'll be able to look around the world and see that we are some of the richest people in the world, both in money and resources, and love in our family. For now, just please trust me?!

I give you rules and boundaries because I love you; because they are good for you, both for your mental and physical health. I do not let you get away with fits and whining and pouting because your character means more to me than that. Yes, it would be easier at times, but you are worth the hard work. I would rather work hard every minute of the day than to let you live your life with that attitude. I pray every morning for you to have an attitude of gratitude.

I love you with every ounce of breath that is within me, and I want you to thrive. I want you to learn to have a happy heart in every situation and keep a smile on your face, even when it is not the natural emotion that comes.

Dearest child, I am praying for you, without ceasing,
Always and forever,
Your Mom

3 comments:

Nel said...

I can not imagine all you thoughts, feeling and emotions right now...
Just know that I think that all kids go through this stage and I am sure that some kids are more intense than others.
You are a great mom and doing a great job I am sure!

Bld424 said...

What a good life lesson for EVERYONE. I think its just time, circumstances, and lots of effort that let a lesson like this sink in and be realized.

Kelley said...

Oh, Ashley-- I believe I could have written the large part of this letter myself... I understand the frustration of praying and waiting for this concept to click. I pray every day, many times, for God to create in my son a peaceful, thankful heart full of gentleness and kindness...