Saturday, August 7, 2010

Some recent food adventures

Lately I've been a bit more motivated in the kitchen than I have been for quite some time. I love it when I feel like this! I really do enjoy cooking and baking, unfortunately, it seems like I am just too busy to do it on a regular basis. I'm hoping with our new schedule starting in August this will become a regular thing! I'm only working one night a week this year, so I should be home the other six to cook dinner!

I finally took all four kids to Walmart! My mother in law was so gracious to go with us and help me train the children!


I don't think I could have made it all the way through without her help, as we stocked up on 2 cart loads of food. I haven't made a real shopping trip since coming home from Ethiopia, 7 weeks before this trip!


The boys were very excited when they saw mangos and papaya in the produce section. I just couldn't tell them no when I saw how their faces lit up!


So, we tried some new fruit for the first time! Thank you for introducing us to these boys, all the kids love the mangos!


Apparently the papaya wasn't quite ripe yet, because they let me know that in Ethiopia it's soft and here it's hard... I didn't know how to prepare either of the fruits, but the boys graciously and patiently showed me!
Blake showing me how to prepare the papaya...

and then digging in!

Hunter has been asking for chocolate covered bananas, so we got a kit and went to town making them! We made 8 bananas, and the kids loved them! It was a fun activity for us to do together.

The kids enjoying their bananas after dinner...


Oh, here's the fourth. He was being a bit stubborn and wouldn't eat his dinner, so he had to wait to eat his banana. But, as always, he finally finished it and loved his chocolate covered banana too!

We had a bread baking day and make banana bread and zucchini bread using my Grandma's recipes.


The boys are very good helpers, GG would be proud of their chopping abilities! I know she would've loved their help! Britt and the girls also stopped in, so they got join in on the fun bread making festivities!


Mya had to be our bread taster after the first loaf was done, and she really enjoyed it!


I also attempted my first Ethiopian dish. I made a lentil wat. I wish I had gotten the boys faces on video when they came around the corner into the kitchen and smelled the wat! They were SO excited and jumping around the kitchen saying "yea! Good food!" I buy injera at an Ethiopian restaurant in St. Louis and keep it at the house for them, so we had a wonderful meal! Could have cooked the lentals a bit longer so they were softer, and we were missing the spice from Ethiopia, but I will buy that next time we're in STL as well.


I hope everyone is experimenting with new foods, finding the enjoyment in cooking together as a family, and thanking God for the plentiful food that we are blessed with.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

What a fun post. Makes me feel inspired to dig through my cookbooks! I find it so hard to cook a "from scratch" meal on the nights I'm alone with the kids, and that gets me out of the habit in general.

Mindy said...

Wow, it takes a lot of food to feed all those sweet kiddos! That is so awesome you made an Ethiopian dish. I can imagine their excitement. :) I am so glad I got to spend some time with them the other night and get to know them better. You have four beautiful kids- on the inside and out!