...more of my vocal journal of our trip to Ethiopia
"Well, it's the end of Sunday, and I don't even know what all I want to say. I did shoot several emails home today.
The boys are just beautiful, they are so enthusiastic about life, which, you know, is wonderful, and I see that in Hunter, but, it's different seeing it in these boys, and knowing the hardships that they've had to face. I would think that they would be very down on life, but they're not at all, they're happy and they're smiling, and they are dancing and they're singing and playing.
It has taken a lot more energy than I had expected, mostly just the communication, more than anything else. Very, very little English, although Bizayehu, especially, will repeat anything that you say. Sintayehu is very quiet, but I can tell that he's taking it all in . He's very reflective, very thoughtful.
Today was a good day, it was awesome. I'm very thankful to God for bringing us this far on this journey and I pray that He will continue to see us through. I know that the journey is not nearly over yet.
The boys are tucked in bed, in the room right next to us, it's just an open doorway between the rooms and Lincoln is taking a shower ( a very cold one with no water pressure...) and I've just crawled in bed. Tomorrow morning Gail is supposed to be here at 9. There is another family coming in tonight. We need to do some paperwork she said and then we'll head back over to Layla, probably the boys will go to school, and we will do some shopping or something of the sorts tomorrow.
Everything was good, the Ethiopian people for the most part have been very, very kind, especially the employees of places - The Ritmo, Layla, the restaurant we've been eating at. Very kind, so I've been grateful for that. Walking the streets with the boys we've had a few people smile and wave, and be very kind, but mostly they just avoid us.
The country is horrible and beautiful all in the same breath. I don't know it's definitely a developing country. You can see construction and people working hard, but you can also see the extreme poverty surrounding us. Very heartbreaking.
We should explore more in the city tomorrow, today was basically just a day to get to know the boys. I feel like we did pretty well today. I think we made some progress and I think they're beginning to trust us. I know that is going to be a long process and I don't think that they fully grasp the concept that they are coming home with us forever, but I think they're starting to get it. We've looked at lots and lots of pictures today over and over again talking about what each one is. I think that's helping, but anyway, I am going to turn in for the night and I will report some more tomorrow!"
No comments:
Post a Comment