I am so thankful for the other mothers that God has placed in my life to encourage me and strengthen me on this journey that is adoption. Please hop over to her blog and read more...you won't be disappointed!
"We often get questions about adoption.... questions about us specifically as well. We like to see those questions as an opportunity to share God's love for the orphan, God's love for us, and the reality of this adoption journey. On occasion a really great question gets asked - one that I think is worthy of producing a post on the blog! Recently through an email conversation with someone who is interested in adoption and our story I got asked about my feelings toward my children since one is by birth and two by adoption. This person also has a child by birth and has questions about how she might feel toward children she would adopt. Will it be different? Will her responses to the children be the same? I assured her that these questions are very normal and I along with several other families whom we know that are similar to our situation have questioned those same things. So what about our feelings ......... my feelings specifically. I can't speak for other families but I can share our experiences. My short answer would be, "they are the same and they are different." Some examples of the same.........
- A desire to protect and provide safety: with all my children no matter which way they came to me I have a desire to protect them. New situations they encounter worry me and I want to know that they will be safe and not afraid. I see them doing something dangerous and no matter which child they are I am right there to direct and guide and keep them safe.
- A desire for them to be happy: no matter which of the three .... my heart is happy when they are happy. I love seeing them have fun, experiencing joy and being free from life's worries.
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4
I have to say this too about my feelings for A & S..... It has completely put me in a place of seeing just how gracious my God is. We are all adopted into God's family when we accept Jesus Christ as our savior and Lord. I first hand know the struggles now to find feelings for a child who is not biologically mine. I have failed miserably at times in my search for feelings. A specific example: one of the kids fell outside and I wasn't as sympathetic as I could have been. Truth is I would have handled it differently with J. I became aware instantly of that feeling and felt as though I had failed in that moment. But God NEVER fails in his love for us. I am grafted in to God's family just as A & S are grafted into our family. God NEVER fails to pick me up when I fall down and his feelings for me are perfect in every way. I was never fully aware of that until he took me down this adoption journey and I realized how difficult it can be at times to love even when you want to with all you have. I have no doubt in my mind that somewhere down the road my relationship with S & A will be at that "just is" place that I have with J. Until then we just keep growing. It's amazing how far we've come. Home almost two years and I've already learned so much about my children. I am eager to see what feelings and emotions come for my children after another two years!"
No comments:
Post a Comment