Some of you may have noticed that my little family has become all but absent in the community since May. Some of you may not have noticed at all, but regardless...this has been the case.
Lincoln and I had entered into a stage in our lives where we were extremely unhappy. We were working almost around the clock, making no time for us and our children. We had overcommitted ourselves to everything - jobs, social lives, extra curricular activities, volunteer positions. We felt a huge strain on our relationship and the relationship with our children.
Finally, one day in March we were able to sit down and take a look at where our lives had ended up. We weren't happy with it. It was time for a change. We decided to cut out nearly everything that wasn't of utmost importance to the health of our family and our relationship with God. So, in May I quit baby sitting, we quit soccer and t-ball. Summer was beginning and I wasn't going to be working as much at The Dance Studio. I made a commitment not to work at anything that I couldn't have my kids with me except 1 week of camp over the summer. We continued Bible Study on Wednesday nights, but that was the extent of our commitments through August.
Although we don't have nearly the social life that we once had, we are more satisfied now. Our spirits and minds are calmer. We have time for one another. Time to grow a marriage that is going to last a lifetime. We are able to raise our children in the way that we feel The Lord has called us to. Our children are healthier, happier kids. We have time to explore the surrounding communities and teach them things about real life.
Although life has "picked up" a little bit again - I've started teaching dance 3 evenings a week, and Hunter has started pre-school 2 mornings a week this year I still feel settled. I feel content with what is in our lives.
I read a woman who I think might be my "soul sister"...here was a portion of her blog post from a few days ago...I love the way she simply stated her (and my) situation.
Amen Sister. Amen.
2 comments:
Wow. That is a choice I dont' know if I could make! I think that I thrive on BUSY - volunteering or elsewise - or at least I've always thought that I am happiest as a multi tasker.
I wonder if simplifying and staying home more, staying together more, and saying, "No, not now!" more would add calm to me and strength to my marriage.
I have found myself liking to be by myself (with the family) lately than all busy running everywhere all the time too! I don't think there is a thing wrong with it!
Post a Comment