1. Sponge Bob Square Pants
2. Any Japanese Anime' style shows (Pokemon, etc.)
3. All adult shows with the exception of Extreme Home Makeover, Biggest Loser, Sports games, and If Walls Could Talk
4. Suite Life of Zack and Cody*
There were lots more when Hunter was little, but more because they were super annoying to me rather than because I felt like they were a bad influence on my kids. I'm sure there are more, but since Hunter can't read yet and I am the one controling the remote I don't even pay attention to what they are!
There are a few that I feel kind of guilty about.
1. Biggest Loser. I love that show and it's on Tuesday nights. Once in a great while I will be able to catch the very end of the show when I get home from work. Since Hunter is still awake at that time and I've been gone from him for several hours I like to snuggle him right before bed and catch the end of the show at the same time. Selfish, I know. Most of the time I watch it online after the kids go to bed though. I think it's good for him to see that people can have problems with their weight and to learn to be sensitive to it. I think it's good for him to see them working hard to change their lives. I don't like the profanity (but it's always bleeped out) that is sometimes thrown in there. I don't like him seeing Bob and Jillian scream in people's faces, but we do talk about how that's not a good way to communicate with others.
2. Wizards of Waverly Place. I think this is a cute show, but don't feel 100% positive about the "wizard" part of it. Hunter knows that there is no such thing as wizards, but still you know it goes somewhere in that vault of a brain... It also sometimes has inappropriate boy/girl relationships. I know some out there think we're WAY off the deep end with trying to instill in our kids that boys and girls shouldn't kiss until they are married, but that's our decision, and so we don't like allowing him to see that on television.
Saying that...Wizards of Waverly Place is not NEARLY as bad with the boy/girl thing as...
3. The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. We used to let Hunter watch this show all the time and found it to be extremely funny actually! Unfortunately it seems that more and more it's more about "who likes who" than the twins getting into mishap funny situations. There is tons of "daydreams" about what it would be like to date or kiss another character. Way too much real kissing of others, and always fighting over who can be someone else's boyfriend or girlfriend. We no longer chose this for him to watch. There are times when it comes on after the show he is watching and depending on the episode we allow him to watch it
We also always try to read reviews or talk to others who have already seen a movie before we let him watch one of those.
What is on your "no" list?
2 comments:
It would probably be easier for me to give my "yes" list than my "no" list! ;o)
Noggin (now Nick Jr) is ok with me because there are no commercials and all of the shows are kid friendly.
PBS Kids is ok with me for the same reason.
Other than that, we let them watch American's Funniest Home videos and Cardinals baseball. If those two things aren't on, they are playing in their rooms or with us in the living room with the TV off. Oh...we do watch Biggest Loser...but they aren't very interested and usually go off and play!
I'm with you...our Dish will be disconnected when the contract is up.
I think that's awesome that you teach your kids to save kissing for marriage!
From my babysitting experience, I've noticed a lot of parents don't allow their kids to watch SpongeBob.
Post a Comment