Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Rubber band bracelets: mostly cute

I'm sure, if you're a mom of school aged kids, you've seen these new rubber band bracelets. Apparently, they're all the rage. My kids adore them! I bought them a 1.00 Noah's Arc pack in the check out line at Walmart. We had a great time figuring out what all the animals were, and they've worn them for a week now. My sister got them an American pack the other day. Eagerly they dug into them to see what new shapes they had to trade with each other. Included were the Liberty Bell, The Statue of Liberty, a bald eagle, the outline of the USA, a hand peace sign, and last, but not least, a dollar sign.

No, I'm being serious, check it out.


Needless to say, we are not wearing the dollar signs. I just can't believe it. Do we seriously want our youngest generation to think of capitalism and money as a symbol of America?! Maybe I'm more counter cultural than I thought I was...but I definitely don't want my kids to view America like that...that's not the America that I love, the America that we were intended to be, the America that God wants us to be.

6 comments:

kimberly said...

I saw these bracelets and couldn't figure out what the big deal was? I never saw the American ones before, I totally agree with the about the dollar sign.

Chrissy said...

Maybe it's because we use a dollar and not a yen, euro, pound, etc?

I've never seen these actually. We must be behind?! ;o)

Joanna said...

Seriously!? I wonder whose great idea that was. Even it is because we use the "dollar" as our currency - why do we need to put that in front of our kids!? Not to mention, WEAR it as an accessory. I am all about teaching kids the value of a dollar - but more like, "You would need to save up two weeks worth of allowance to get that ____." I need to stop - I think I've blown my non-hippy cover! :)

Nel said...

We have a package of the animal ones :o) Big Sis wore all 12 for awhile...

They are too fun!

Chrissy said...

Joanna...that doesn't sound hippy-like! ;o) I think any parent who wants to teach their children about being good stewards of money would say the same thing. I'm not sure if I would even buy that bunch considering the dollar bracelet. I was just trying to think like the maker of the product!

Sadly, though, you know that the "all mighty dollar" is practically a symbol in our country. Bigger and better, whether you can afford it or not, that's the American way.

Mindy said...

I felt really behind when Ryan knew about SillyBandz before me! But he has been at camps all summer... ha.
They are a cute idea, but yes, that dollar sign is a bit ridiculous.