Saturday, August 7, 2010

A day of working. Exploring why I feel this way...

*Many of you may disagree with this post. That's okay with me. Everyone is different and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am not looking to start a feud on SAHM vs. Working Moms. We are all moms and we do what we have to do for our families. I respect that. These are simply my feelings and observations about myself.

I think I figured out one of the (many) reasons why there are so many broken families in America today.

Today I worked from 9:00 - 2:30. Only5.5 hours.
When I came home I was so short with my children!

I was frustrated by their lack of ability to do anything for themselves.
They couldn't seem to regulate their emotions, words, or actions.
They couldn't get their own drinks, toys down from the closet, or sticky doors open.

These are all things that I deal with every. single. day.
Why did they frustrate me so much tonight?

After some quiet time and prayer, I figured it out.
I left my children and spent time with other people who are competent to care for themselves.

Coming home to people who aren't is frustrating.
To say the least.

To imagine having two parents working all day and coming home feeling like this is scary.

No wonder so many families are unhappy.
There is no one home to prepare the house for the family that evening.
There is no one to be patient and loving with the children.
Or with their spouse.

Lord, please prepare my heart for the years to come. If I am to join the workforce, please prepare myself and my family. Please change my heart so that I will not feel this way every evening when I come home. I want to be a loving, patient parent who fills their children's emotional love tanks each evening. Not one who is short and cross and can't wait for bedtime.
If I am able to stay at home and continue to care for my family and home, thank you for that blessing Lord.

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

I don't think you need a disclaimer, Ashley! ;o) That's what blogs are for, right? Our own opinions?

kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bld424 said...

I think your opinion is interesting. I know that I am a more peaceful person and my home is in better order right now when I work less than 20 hours per week. I think its a better home. This might be from personal maturity on my part or from the strength of my marriage partnership, not just the lack of working. However, I think it really is best for ME as a human to work less while I am a parent to young children. I think I like myself better. But I don't think counting the hours til bed time is too bad ... because it is only then that you can really get things back together and have a moment to regain YOU. Plus... kids need bed times, too. Especially when they are wacky and missed a nap. They can wake back up to a refreshed mom and more happy home.

Amanda said...

I cannot imagine having worked while Scottie was little. When he was 4 going on 5 and I went back to work, I worked with two year olds, so he seemed incredibly self-sufficient at that point. I really appreciated the way you articulated these thoughts. It totally makes sense. I absolutely believe the stress of two working parents can be disastrous in a family if these things aren't recognized and combated with alot of support, love and prayer.

Nel said...

My mom and I were just talking about this the other day... I do realize that some families have to have both parents working but I do think that a house is more a 'home' if one parent can be home to make it a 'home'.