Saturday, November 15, 2008

Let Down...?

Have you ever built something up so much in your mind that it's then impossible for it to go as smoothly as you had pictured it? It seems that I let myself do this all the time! I have a real problem with change, I'm able to admit this, but if I have something in my mind then it should just go that way - no matter what! Very unrealistic, I know.

Take Christmas Tree Putting Up Night for instance. (And yes, it should all be capitalized, it's a proper name - like Christmas or something. ha ha) I had this picture perfect night in my mind with Christmas music playing, Lincoln, Hunter, and I putting the tree up, Graysen playing with the santa dolls and a few ornaments. All gathered around the stove making home made pizza and then eating it under the lights of the tree.

What I didn't picture was a husband who was VERY tired (but trying desperately not to act like it), a son who had an ear infection and was acting up more than usual, a strand of Christmas lights that were burnt out, a daughter who would pull every ornament off the tree as soon as we could put it up there, a kitchen that had to be cleaned, a pizza that took twice as long to bake as I had guessed it would, and me, putting the rest of the decorations up by myself after the other three had gone to bed.

I have to admit, I am rather proud of myself. Despite the "set-backs", we had a wonderful evening together and I didn't stress out one single time. Amazing. Lincoln even commented to me how impressed he was before heading off to bed...that's how I know I was truly successful.

No comments: