Friday, February 6, 2009

Lovely Remarks

So I hope no one takes offense to all of my posts this week about death and helping those through it...but I think it's a topic that's so rarely addressed....and NEEDS TO BE!  I've been there - I know that most people don't know what to say...so as I have good ideas, suggestions, etc. I'm going to post them on here - my goal is to break the ice and tell everyone...that IT'S BETTER TO SAY SOMETHING THAN NOTHING AT ALL!!!!

Here is part of an email that I got from a very dear friend of mine tonight - her grandma passed away this week the year after Claire:

"We're thinking of you and Lincoln this month.  It's so surreal that it's here again.  The week bring such mixed feelings for my family - as I'm sure it does for you as well.  I wish I could have been there when Claire was born - I would have loved to meet her, but I know I will one day.  I'm sure my grandmother is squishing her cheeks off as we speak!  lol  :0)"    

4 comments:

Martha said...

I agree that death is something that needs to be more widely addressed. It's funny you should mention that, because a few times in nursing school we have had guest speakers come to talk to us about how to work with families of dying patients and the patients themselves. All of them have said that it's something that is hard to teach other people and we just need to be exposed to it...especially since it is such an individual experience for the patient as well as their families.

Chrissy said...

I think people say "nothing" when it's a situation they've not experienced themselves, and to not seem insensitive, they remain quiet as apposed to saying something stupid. I know people who get upset when they hear "I understand" when it's coming from someone who has not been in their shoes. So I hope you're not upset with the people who say nothing (and I hope I just made sense and didn't ramble).

Ashley said...

No, it's not that I'm upset with those people - but my goal is to help to educate people so they don't say things like that - so that they feel comfortable enough with the situation and have some tools to use. Even if they would acknowledge in some way - card, phone call etc. to say, I know this is a hard time for you, I'm thinking about you...it's so much better then "ignoring" the fact because you don't know what to say.

Chrissy said...

Gotcha. :o)