Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Challenge to You

God said "Be STILL and KNOW that I am God."  Do you think it's possible that we so often find that God is "silent" to us because aren't in the silence with Him?  Maybe we should stop wondering why God has "abandoned" us and go be where He is.  

I would like to challenge everyone to take some time every day to sit in silence.  I'm going to start with 5 minutes a day and would like to increase it by a minute or two each week.  I know that it's no secret that we live in an extremely busy and noisy society, but I was really struck by the truth of this today.  It's wonderful if you already take "quiet time" each day...listening to praise songs, reading your bible, praying, etc.  But do you ever just sit with no outside noise or distractions? Ever lock yourself in a closet if need to be drown out the noise just to sit?  I would challenge you do this.  

I know to some of us with children, husbands, and jobs it sounds like close to an impossibility...but I ask you - what is the alternative?  I think the other option is to be far away from God, to not hear Him speaking to us, to not know His will.  Take turns with your husband for 5 minutes watching the kids, stay up after the rest of the family is in bed and not pick up your book or turn on the TV.  

Be still.  And know that I am God.
- Psalm 46:10

No comments: