Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My Child "Do Withouts"!

Here are a list of items that I think are either utterly ridiculous (sorry if you use them!), or I've tried and feel like they were worthless.
  • Itzbeen Baby Care Timer - Okay, so I will say that the reminder as to what side you nursed on last might be helpful (but if you really can't tell by the feeling in your breasts a safety pin will work...).  I can also say that this item might be good for the possibility of having multiples who aren't on the same schedule or premies that MUST eat every x amount of hours, but for normal people I find this ridiculous!  If you are honestly "spacey" enough that you can't remember to change your baby, feed your baby, etc....should you really be a parent?  Usually a smell of the bottom or a hunger cry is a good enough reminder!
  • Breast Milk Testing Strips - To me, part of the nursing is the continued sacrifice for your child.  If you want to go back to drinking alcohol as soon as your baby is born, then don't nurse them - I just think it's kind of an oxy moron.  (Obviously since these items are actually made and people actually use them I'm probably in the minority in this mind set.)
  • Wipe Warmer - I had one of these with Hunter and found that no matter what setting I put it on , or how short of a period I left it plugged in it always dried out the wipes.  Balling the wipe up in your hand for a few seconds before using it is a much more efficient way to warm wipes...I think.
  • Prenatal Heart Listener - I got one of these when I was pregnant with Hunter and I could NEVER find his heart beat.  It not only cost me money (that was wasted because it didn't work), but it caused me lots of stress worrying about my baby (whose heart I couldn't hear!).  
  • Play Mat - I never felt like my kids (or baby sitting kids) laid under something like this for more than 2 minutes.  Also, even if the mat part folds up nice and compact the bridges with toys on them don't, so they take up lots of storage space.  So not worth it to me.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

I laughed when I read what you said under Itzbeen Baby Care Timer...I agree! :o)

Tina said...

Didn't even know what a breast milk testing strip was until this post.....

Nel said...

You crack me up! I hope all is going well... haven't heard from you in about a week.