Saturday, December 6, 2008

My cousin, My scar

A blog I read daily, http://oneminutewriter.blogspot.com, has tons of great writing prompts. Usually I just think through my answer, but sometimes it sparks a memory so great that I have to share it on here.

Share the story of how you got a scar:

I really only have two scars. The first is huge on the top of my left hand. It looks like 1/2 of a set of butterfly wings. I got it when I was about 4 (maybe 5). I was living in Washington DC and was playing school in my bedroom upstairs with a friend. I had one of my grandmother's lamps on a table that I was wanting to use as a desk. It was an old fashioned lamp with the really thick antique glass. As I tugged on it to move it from the table (it was plugged in), it flew out of my hands and shattered mid-air. A piece of the glass sliced my hand, pulling a flap of my skin back. My mom took me to the hospital where they put butterfly strips on it. No stitches - but quite the scar!

My second scar is the one I'm most fond of because it brings back so many good memories! It was the last few days of school and I was in the 8th grade. It was warm outside - warm enough in May to be wearing a swimming suit while running around my yard with my best friend - my cousin. We lived on a gravel road off the main road and our mail box was at the top of the long gravel road, so we decided to ride the lawn mower up to get it rather than walk. (Lazy, yes, I know, but I believe that we had been sun bathing or something and the sun had zapped our energy.) So, my cousin and I hop on the 1 rider mower and head up the road to get the mail. We were young, silly, and not very smart. When we got to the top we decided that she would slip her foot off the break and I would slip mine on. (I was sitting on the back of the seat and she was in the seat driving). Well, our timing didn't work out as well as we had hoped, and the lawn mower lurched forward. I feel off the back of the seat (obviously) and landed (in a swim suit) on the OPEN motor. Yikes! My butt was BURNT! I don't remember much of the ride back to the house, but I do remember being scared to death to go in the house and show my mom what I had done. I'm still, to this day, not sure why I was scared to show her, because we hadn't done anything wrong, and she had never over-reacted about anything silly like that before, but none the less, I made Jayna go in to my grandma's bedroom and prep her. I had tears running down my face from the pain as I showed my mom and grandma my charred (literally) bottom.

The kicker is....it was a Sunday.

Now, this does not sound like something would be recall FOND memories, but it does. When I think about it I remember all those lazy days with my cousin and the fun we had together before our lives got so crazy and busy. Now she lives half way across the country and I only get to see her during the holidays. I miss her like terribly and wish that we could be closer and share more of our lives together.

I love you Jay - and my scar!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you left out the best part... you had to spend the entire last day of junior high standing or laying on your belly, because you couldn't sit down!!!

As silly as it sounds, this brought tears to my eyes!! I've recently been thinking back to the fun, uncomplicated life that was our childhood and how I miss those days! When mom and dad worried about the adult stuff, and all we had to think about was the way we would sneak over to the elementary school during choir to go get McDonald's for lunch! When we were able to see our friends EVERYDAY, hang out practically every night, and never got sick of each other!

Though I do feel bad that I scarred you for life,:) I am very greatful for the memories, fun times, and true friendship that we have. I have no idea what I'd do without you, in my eyes you are my sister, and I look forward to EVERY minute that we get to spend together!