I have a bracelet. Apparently it's not worth much money. I recently took it to two local jewelers asking to get it repaired and they both told me that it wasn't worth enough to fix. Here in-lies my problem. It's worth it to me. This is the bracelet that my husband gave me on our first Christmas together - not our first married Christmas, our very first ever together. It's the bracelet that I wore every day for 3 years. The bracelet that I felt when we were a few hundred miles apart and I was missing him very much. The bracelet that I wore even through our break-up, that reminded me of our feelings for each other and gave me hope that we could work things out.
Shortly after we got married my bracelet broke. One of the links broke and I could no longer wear it. I put it in my jewelry chest and kind of forgot about it. A few months ago I saw it and decided I wanted to get it fixed. I love the bracelet and it has such fond memories attached. Unfortunately I was "turned down" by the two jewelry stores in town. They both said it would cost much more than the bracelet was worth to fix it. Yes, I could have demanded that they fix it anyway, but, after their attitudes, I didn't want to give them my business. My MIL suggested that I take it to a little bead shop downtown and see if they could fix it.
The bracelet is not beaded, so I was skeptical, but it was worth a shot, so I took it in and what do you know...they fixed it over night. For $2.50!
Amazing what a little persistence will get you! :0)
2 comments:
That is such a good story!
I wish sometimes I were a shop proprietor and I could sense the sentimental value and help out pepole. It seems like those two Rolla stores are so negative - they did the same thing with my mom trying to refurbish my dad's wedding ring.
Sometimes its not the jewlery itself, but the significance behind it.
We have a great jeweler in our town that works with us. He let my husband design the wedding ring, and he let me "alter" the engagement ring to make it a little thinner band. He told us that he wants his work to have significance, as well as monitary value.
wouldn't that be the fun part of the job? I would LOVE to ask everyone who came in the story behind their jewelry. Think about all the fun, inspirational, sentimental stories you would hear! I would think it would be very rewarding work to help people re-store, or re-make their memories!
Post a Comment