I was sitting in the cemetery at Claire's grave before heading to work for the day and along came an elderly man. He had white hair, a plaid golf hat, shorts, white socks pulled up tall, velcro tennis shoes, and a walking cane. He walked right down the row behind Claire's headstone. He was on a mission. He finally stopped at a grave a few from the end of the row. He pruned the flowers that were hanging in a basket next to the headstone and then brushed off the stone. He walked in a circle inspecting every inch of it. He stopped, bowed his head for a moment and then turned and headed back the same way he came. It was a short visit, but one that you could tell he was used to; comfortable with. He nodded his head and smiled at me as he walked past on his way out. I walked down to see who it was that he visited. It was a woman who had been gone 12 years.
As I left the cemetery I saw him walking down one of the side roads into a neighborhood. You could tell this was a walk he took often. Probably every morning. How many years he has walked to visit this woman? One might think it was just a routine, just the perfect distance for his morning exercise, but I saw something different. I saw devotion. I saw love. I saw a longing, and desire to still be close to the one he loves.
Will Lincoln visit my grave after I'm gone? Will we have a love story that will survive the years?
1 comment:
What a lovely sentiment, even if routine. Devotion.
And I cannot believe you don't like "The Notebook".
Post a Comment