Friday, July 24, 2009

While the kids are fixing a mistake that they have made, such as re-folding the pile of laundry, or rolling back up the toilet paper roll, I never expect perfection from them.  I understand that they do the best that they can do...obviously they can't fold like me, or roll the toilet paper up evenly.  It's the fact that they are correcting their mistake, they are righting a wrong, they are contributing to the well being of the home.  

But what do you do when your almost 5 year old son CAN do better...but acts like he can't?  Sometimes I know Hunter is capable of more.  I know he can color in the lines, write his name, etc.  I've seen him do it all before...He just pretends that he can't.  

How do I encourage him to do better without getting frustrated with him that he's not living up to his potential?  How do I make sure that the "slacking" behavior doesn't continue into school, and well, life in general?!  How do I help him to WANT to strive to do his best at all times?  I don't want him to be satisfied doing what comes naturally or easy to him.  I want him to want better for himself, to always strive to achieve that next thing.  

Now, saying that, I realize that it sounds like I'm not satisfied with who he is.  Like I want him to be the next Albert Einstein or Michael Jordan.  Please don't misunderstand me.  I think he's great.  I'm proud of all of his accomplishments.  I just want him to live up to his potential...no matter what that is!

2 comments:

Martha said...

I am not a parent, but I have realized that much of why I did so well is school is because my parents expected me to. If you expect him to get straight A's, he probably will (or at least try his best to). In high school, if I got a B on a test my dad would often say, "well, why isn't it an A?" Although it sounds odd (unsupportive perhaps) he just knew that I could do better and expected better. I don't know how you apply that to a younger kid. Although, if you just start expecting him to do better and make sure he knows it...you might be surprised. Kids are funny that way :o) Good luck!

Kelley said...

I have no advice to offer here. Juliet worked super hard UNTIL she got into school. lol... then I think she got bored and distracted. I think she would have been a great candidate for homeschooling... Maybe I'll find a miracle motivation tactic this year!