Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Luckiest

I want to be the woman who dies a few days after her spouse because she just can't go on without him.  I want to live a hopelessly romantic life.  I want to be Melanie from Gone With The Wind.  I want to be Ellie from UP, both, women whose husbands are so crazy about them that they stay faithful for years after they die.  I want my kids to be embarrassed by how crazy their Dad and I are about each other during their teenage years.  I want them to find love letters between Lincoln and I after we're gone and finally appreciate the love that we had.  I want them to hope their marriages mirror ours.  

My new favorite song:  "The Lucky One" by Ben Folds Five.  This is a song I could listen to with no lyrics, with only lyrics, anyway you slice it, I LOVE it!  

"I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

What if I'd been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away


I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest"

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

I've sent that song to Josh before. In fact, in my hormonal moments while pregnant, that song would make me cry. It probably still could.

Bld424 said...

I love this whole album. Its really sentimental. And I really like the whiny-ness of song "Brick", even though I've never had an abortion on the day after Christmas. I was super bummed that I missed them when they came to Columbia last month!

Bld424 said...

The format is getting easier to read! I miss the pink a little though :o)

Britt said...

I have never heard that song...going to have to find it online and listen! Sounds like a good one!