Sunday, January 4, 2009

It's okay: to my kids

Hunter and Graysen,

I want you to know that when you're a parent it's okay to do a few things that you'll probably feel guilty about.

It's okay to put your child in the highchair in front of the TV in order to get a shower in that day.

It's okay to let your child stay in their bed after they wake up as long as they aren't crying. Hunter, you woke up crying every time, but Graysen would sit in her bed and talk for a half an hour sometimes.

It's okay for your baby to be nursed past a year. It's also okay to continue using a bottle at bedtime a little over a year - there's nothing magical that happens on their first birthday...I promise.

It's okay for your child to have a Happy Meal for dinner because you're too tired to cook. (We all have those nights!)

It's okay for your house to be messy - as long as your family is happy.

It's okay to have "special days" (Hunter, that's what you call them) where you eat ice cream for breakfast, stay in your PJ's all day, and just lay around and watch movies together. Those are what memories are made from.

2 comments:

My So Called Life said...

This made me smile this morning! Maybe alittle inspired to write to my child. Sometimes I need someone to tell me it is ok to have alittle me time or a messy house. I love reading your blog!

Danielle said...

I LOVE the special day idea:) so cute:) and Happy Meals, I would die for a fast food place in Huxley! Hello, we have nothing and what kid doesnt like a Happy Meal and bonus, comes with a toy:)

Your are a wonderful mommy:)