Monday, January 19, 2009

Kindergarten Thoughts

Sending my children to school scares the daylights out of me. Honestly. I have never enjoyed having anyone else watch my children for more than a few hours at a time. I have never wanted a stranger instilling thoughts, ideas, and life lessons on my children. That is my job. I have had a list for 2 years of which teachers I would be okay with Hunter having. I update the list every year as teachers move in and out of STJ Kindergarten. It's a very scary thing to send your child off to someone for a large part of the day to do the teaching that I really feel like God intended us as parents to do. It's not like a daycare or babysitter where you get to interview several prospects and pick which one you feel fits your child and family the best. There is no process of getting to know your child and then fitting them with a teacher who will best suit their learning style and other classmates who will encourage your child and bring the best qualities out in them.

I'm aware we can't shelter our kids forever, but 5 (or 6) is still VERY VERY young...there's far too much character building left to happen at that age to entrust someone else for 7 -8 hours a day to do it.

I've been reading The Dugger's Book and they home school and I have been really convicted. Don't get me wrong, I doubt that I'll end up being able to do it, just really feels like the right thing to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could do it, Ashley! :o) Most moms I know that homeschool say they thought the same thing. Keep praying...we only have a year and a half to figure this all out! ;o)

Martha said...

Although I completely see where you are coming from (and maybe someday, when I have kids, will understand more fully), I think that school is an opportunity for kids to be exposed to new ideas/situations and form their own opinions. You are working hard to instill them with values, and I think they will take those values and expand them and mold them into their own world view. I think if you chose to home school, you have to be very careful to make sure that kids still get social exposure. Think of all the experiences you had in school and all of the people you met (me included!!), and how that has shaped the way you are and how you see the world. Sure there are scary things out there, but you can't protect your children from them forever. The best you can do is give them the tools they need, love them, and talk to them about their experiences!! I feel confident that your kids will be two amazing adults, no matter where they get their education!

Nel said...

Ashley I have to say that I too am scared to death of sending my sweet baby girl to a world that they come home from learning things I don't want them to learn yet. I watch my nephews change so much as they go to school and learn all of the crued and hard and sad things of life. Their personalities change, their actions change, and the way they treat people change. It scares me to death!

Anonymous said...

Ashley, I just wanted to say...been there! I know exactly how you feel! I never thought I would be a homeschooling mom. Didn't really want to, but God convinced me otherwise. It has been so good on so many levels. There are still activities to be involved in (for the social aspect) if you choose to do them. It is not the easy thing to do.
There are many days I wish those hours were my own, but I am daily reminded that this is an eternal investment!

Praying for you!
Sarah Causey