Alright, so those who know me best know that I HATE confrontation. I hate arguments. I will avoid them at all costs. So...some may say that what I'm about to tell you is wrong. That I should just be the parent and tell my son to sit down, be quiet, and eat his dinner. But - that's not who I am. So, this is what I have found works for us!
Hunter has always been a flighty eater. Don't get me wrong, he eats A LOT, basically all day every day, but he is rather picky with his food. We've gone through lots of stages over the years, starting with hiding food on the fork behind something else that he does like, cooking veggies in foods that wouldn't otherwise call for them, singing songs ( The bee goes buzzing around the barn, thought that he would do no harm, he went buzzzzzzzz), and most recently the "Tell me what your ____ thinks of it".
The rule is that he must take at least 3 bites of his meal before he is allowed to get down from the table. So, I give him a bite and say, "Hunter, tell me what your tongue thinks of it". He'll respond with "yucky, or eww, or surprisingly sometimes - YUMMY!" Then we move on to other parts of his body. Most of the time as long as I can keep coming up with body parts he'll keep eating the bites - well past number 3. You can always tell when he HONESTLY doesn't like something because when I go for bite number 4 he says - "no way mom, that was three bites!" Too smart!
1 comment:
I just learned about a cookbook...and it sounds like you might be the perfect candidate for it! It's called "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. It's all about pureeing veggies, etc. and incorporating the puree into recipes so your family doesn't even know it's there! I think the pureeing process takes some time, but it tells you about making them and freezing them so you can just take tubs out of the freezer when you're ready to cook. Let me know what you think!
Post a Comment